Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Be A Thermostat

...not a thermometer.

I don't remember the name of the lady who said this.  It was at a women's retreat in Pennsylvania 9 years ago.  It really struck me, "Be a thermostat and not a thermometer". 
We just had our air conditioner replaced last week (the day of graduation!).  The guy came back today with the new thermostat.  It's an amazing thing.  You set the temperature that you want and the conditions in the room stay constant.  If you want it cooler, set it lower.  If you want it warmer, set it higher.  You can even program it to come on at certain times and certain temperatures. 
Thermometers register what's happening in the conditions around it.  Thermometers go up and down depending on what's happening.  When it's 100+ degrees outside, that's what the thermometer says.  When it's 32 degrees, that's what the thermometer says.  It doesn't effect anything, it just reacts to what's happening around it.
I want to be constant, like a thermostat, no matter what's going on around me.  Maybe, like a thermostat, if I'm constant and not reacting, it will help effect those around me.

2 comments:

Steve said...

I use the thermostat-thermometer analogy with my classes and teams. One year a water polo team gave me a thermostat for a gift at the end of the year. I mounted it and it's in my classroom to remind me everyday.

Jeano said...

That's great! I should keep one around my neck to remind me!