But, what happened to the Thankfulness of yesterday? The country went mad today spending money that they don't have on things they don't need. What happened to the spirit of thankfulness? What about being content with what we have? I am increasingly so turned off by the materialism of the season. Don't get me wrong, we buy gifts for our family, but we're trying to pare down on "stuff"and focus more on Advent.
Advent - preparing for Christmas. It's a time of anticipation and remembering why Christ came. It also serves to prepare us for Christ's second coming. We will begin this Sunday with our Advent readings. This is one of the hymns we will sing on Sunday.
- O COME, O COME EMMANUEL
- O come, O come, Emmanuel,
- And ransom captive Israel,
- That mourns in lonely exile here
- Until the Son of God appear.
- Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
- shall come to thee, O Israel.
- O come, Thou Rod of Jesse, free
- Thine own from Satan's tyranny;
- From depths of hell Thy people save,
- And give them victory over the grave.
- O come, Thou Day-spring, come and cheer
- Our spirits by Thine advent here;
- And drive away the shades of night
- And pierce the clouds and bring us light!