Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Something to Chew On

This morning (just now really) I was reading in Psalm 147. I have to admit that I don't always pay a lot of attention to what I read. Some mornings I'm really distracted by other things and don't focus. This morning, however, the words seemed to "jump off the page" at me. I wrote these things out in my journal as something to really "chew on" today.

"It is good to sing praises to our God, for it is pleasant and a song of praise is fitting" (vs. 1) - It really does help my perspective to sing (or even just think of the words) a song of praise. A good reminder as I go through the rest of today.

"For the Lord builds up...
He gathers...
He heals...
He binds up wounds...
He gives..."

I purposely left off the second part of each line 'cause that's what struck me today. "He builds up" - I want to be one who builds up (and not tear down). "He gathers"... I want to be one who gathers (and not scatters) people. "He heals and binds up wounds"... I want to be one who helps and heals and binds up wounds (and not one who tears down, who wounds and then pours salt in the wound!) "He gives"... I want to be one who gives (and does not take).

"Great is the Lord and abundant in power; His understanding is beyond measure..." Wow! He understands! He is powerful! I want to be one who understands (I know I'm not powerful!).

"The Lord lifts up the humble"... I want to be one who lifts up those around me.
"He covers the heavens... He prepares rain... He makes grass grow..." He does it! I can't make it rain. I can't make grass grow (we usually kill all living plants on our property!). God makes things happen!

"He gives food"... such a basic thing. He provides food! He has provided for us this week in very practical ways!

"He strengthens... He blesses.... He makes peace... He fills...". These are all positive things and all things that I want to emulate! I want to be one who strengthens others (as He strengthens me) and blesses others (as He blesses me). I want to be one who makes peace (as He has made peace with me). I want to be one who fills and doesn't empty.

This gives me plenty to "chew on" for the rest of today.

No comments: