Monday, March 14, 2011

So Needy

I have been thinking a lot about grace and mercy, judgment and punishment.  A few weeks ago at school a situation came up that really had me wondering and reflecting on all of this and how I handle certain situations and personalities.  A student really messed up and was suspended.  He was allowed to go on our recent choir trip, being given that second chance... grace.  Choir seems to be the only reason he even comes to school.  It seemed the right thing to do.  Now I'm not so sure.  There is always the risk of the "grace receiver" taking advantage of the gift and thereby cheapening it.

So is grace and mercy given freely to all no matter what?  Or does grace only come to those who humble themselves, who recognize their need?  Do those who are proud and unrepentant still receive grace? 
I, for one, am so conscious of my need of grace and mercy lately.  Every where I look I see my sinfulness, my lack of grace, my lack of love and kindness, my lack of wisdom (which I so desperately need).  I understand my total lack and realize my only answer is God's mercy and grace.  For this I am so grateful.

No comments: