Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Why I Love The Psalms



Jim and I have been reading in the Psalms together since 150 days before we got married. We started with Psalm 150 and went backwards to Psalm 1, both reading the same Psalm every day, until the day we got married and then started over again with Psalm 1 on our wedding day. We have been reading one Psalm per day since then. I figure we've read the Psalms about 43 times since we started.

Back to the reason why I love the Psalms. Most of them were written by King David, a musician, a king, and "a man after God's own heart". David and the other Psalm writers expressed what was on their hearts to God. No matter what I'm going through I can find it expressed somewhere in the Psalms.


When I'm afraid: "The Lord is my light and my salvation - so why should I be afraid." (Psalm 27)

When I'm so glad to be forgiven: "Oh what joy for those whose rebellion is forgiven, whose sin is put out of sight." (Psalm 32)

When I'm in despair: "I waited patiently for the Lord to help me, and He turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the pit of despair, out of the mud and mire. He set my feet on solid ground and steadied me as I walked along. He has given me a new song to sing, a hymn of praise to my God." (Psalm 40)

When I blow it: "Have mercy on me, O God, because of your unfailing love. Because of Your great compassion, blot out the stain of my sins. Wash me clean from my guilt. Purify me from my sin." (Psalm 51)

When things are hard and I'm questioning: "Has the Lord rejected me forever? Will He never again show me favor? Have His promises permanently failed? Has God forgotten to be kind? Has He slammed the door on His compassion?" (from Psalm 77)

When I wonder if God knows anything about me: "O Lord, You have examined my heart and know everything about me. You know when I sit down or stand up. You know my every thought when far away... You know what I'm going to say before I say it..." (Psalm 139)

When I just need words to thank and praise Him: "I will praise You, my God and King, and bless Your name forever and ever..." (Psalm 145 and SO many others!)

David and the other Psalm writers went through a LOT of stuff... hard things, good things and God allowed that so that they could write down these songs (psalms) for us! When I just don't know how to express myself I find solace and comfort in these great words.

No comments: