Thursday, April 23, 2009

New York Memories and Adventures

I've been back for two days from our High School Madrigal trip to NY. It was a busy and extremely memorable time away. We left Exeter at 2:30 p.m. on Thursday, April 16th (wow! one week ago!) and arrived in NY on Friday morning 7 a.m. After catching a quick breakfast at a 2-story McDonalds in downtown NY and waiting a few hours for our rooms to be ready we had an afternoon of rehearsal in the hotel.





Saturday was packed with rehearsals then out to see "The Lion King" on Broadway! For lunch on Saturday I was able to connect with my friend, Sheryl, from New Jersey who came into the city just to have lunch with me!!

This is Hayden, Sean and Michael all dressed up and ready to go.





Sunday we had free time in the morning, rehearsal in the afternoon and - the highlight of the weekend... concert in Carnegie Hall!!!



Monday was a trip to Liberty Island and Ellis Island followed by a walking tour of Wall Street and that area. It was a cold, rainy, bitter day (and like an idiot, I had already packed my coat and umbrella!)



The group's stay in NY ended Monday afternoon as they boarded a bus back to the airport and then a flight back to LA. As for me... I hadn't been feeling well for several days and began to have chest pain along with racing heart... I got an ambulance ride to the New York Downtown Hospital.


I am so thankful for my friend, Mary, who stayed with me the entire time (she's an RN, too, so that was real help!) They kept me until 2:30 in the morning after which Mary and I went back to the hotel, slept about 4 hours and caught a flight out at 11:30 a.m. Amazingly, the same United official who had helped Ms. Lovik change out tickets the night before was there to help us in the morning! We had a very smooth flight and arrived home safe and sound Tuesday at 6 p.m.

So... the glad game... well, I'm thankful for me friends, I'm thankful for the kind people at the Marriott and the hospital. I'm thankful for the wonderful experiences we all had. I am thankful to have had the privilege of watching my son, Michael, and the other 19 EUHS Madrigals, sing on the stage in Carnegie Hall. I am thankful for the opportunity to observe the director, Dr. Ehp Ely. His passion and enthusiasm along with his very positive way of working with the students inspired me and the others!! It was worth the trip just to watch him work with the students!!

So, after more than a year of fund-raising, the trip is here and gone. The memories will last a lifetime!!

1 comment:

AussieMaz said...

Wow, an action packed adventure, shame about the hospital trip, but glad everything worked out.