Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Stress Tests for the Heart



So I'm having a "stress test" tomorrow. Yeah, just what I need... more stress. But this is a carefully monitored test done by a medical professional who will keep an eye on my heart rate and blood pressure while I walk on a tread mill for awhile (or so I understand). They should be able to determine something from this. I don't know what, but they are the professionals, not me.
In thinking about this, and in my reading of the Old Testament (which, yeah, can be kind of dry at times), I'm seeing some similarities between the medical stress test and what we sometimes go through. In the Old Testament (and I'm sure, beyond that, too) God often "tested" His people by allowing certain trials into their lives, in order to see the condition of their hearts. It's in and through stressful times that we see what we are made of (ohhh, ouch, I just ended that sentence with a preposition!). My recent stressful times have shown me that I'm not as strong or as full of faith as I thought or as I want other people to think! It's shown me how much I need my husband and family. It's shown me that saying "no" from time to time can actually be a good thing. It's shown me that I do need to take time to (literally) smell the roses in my garden. I also see how much I need God. (no need to elaborate on that one!).
So, yeah, stress tests really do reveal the condition of the heart. We'll see what the medical professional says tomorrow as a result of my test. I already know some of the results of my other stresses.

1 comment:

Alida Sharp said...

I have been praying for you!!