Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Psalm 131 and its anithesis

Psalm 131

A song of ascents. Of David.
 1 My heart is not proud, O LORD,
       my eyes are not haughty;
       I do not concern myself with great matters
       or things too wonderful for me.  2 But I have stilled and quieted my soul;
       like a weaned child with its mother,
       like a weaned child is my soul within me.
 3 O Israel, put your hope in the LORD
       both now and forevermore.

Here’s Anti-Psalm 131 (by David Powlison)
Self,
my heart is proud (I’m absorbed in myself),
and my eyes are haughty (I look down on other people),
and I chase after things too great and too difficult for me.
So of course I’m noisy and restless inside, it comes naturally,
like a hungry infant fussing on his mother’s lap,
like a hungry infant, I’m restless with my demands and worries.
I scatter my hopes onto anything and everybody all the time"

I find myself more in the "anti-psalm" than in Psalm 131.  I am praying, trusting, hoping and learning to REST in the Lord and leave "things too great for me" in His hands!

No comments: